Apr 9, 2008

Cabin Fever

So I've had the luxury of being able to devote my time almost exclusively to photography for the past 2 1/2 weeks. It's been wonderful, I've been very productive, I've made a good number of sales, and I've really enjoyed the experience. Trouble is, I'm getting antsy. I think I've been spending too much time with myself, you know? Art is often a solitary pursuit, in my case, and I think I'm missing the social connection one usually has at work. Especially since I mainly sell online, so I'm not interacting directly with shop owners, customers, or fellow vendors.

It's something to think about pretty seriously, since one day I hope to make photography my exclusive career. Does anyone have good solutions for keeping the social aspect of work alive?

2 comments:

  1. I'm finding the same issue - but I am trying to connect with my local street team artists here in Portland, OR. Our PDX Etsy group has its own forum for open communication and all the local goings-on, etc. That helps feel somewhat connected. Do you do any shows - thats a great way to network.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the suggestions. I am involved with my local street team, and I plan to do some shows this summer. Hopefully that will give me a little boost. I'm also starting to realize that it's a little sad, how easy and cheap it is to get everything online. Good incentive to support my local framing shop, and to go to the post office instead of simply printing shipping labels online...

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts!