Apr 29, 2008

Swamps

I apologize for my infrequent posts lately. I've recently started a new part-time job, and I'm still adjusting to my new schedule. Today, I spent a long, rainy day doing fieldwork at UCONN, where my company is involved with a large wetland mitigation project. We monitored water levels and vernal pools, helped plant some wetland shrubs, and I, at least, came home smelling of swamp. A day that made me truly appreciate proper rain gear and long, hot showers.

Nearly three years ago, I was at this same site, while things were still in the planning stage. I took several photographs of the Great Blue Heron rookery there. Since then, an owl took over the area, and the Great Blue Herons moved out. Today, we saw one lone heron return.

Here's a photograph of one of these bizarrely beautiful animals, from back in 2005 when the rookery was full of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts!