Jan 28, 2009

The Dragon's Egg

I've spent much of my week so far in Connecticut - and thus a lot of time driving. Not that I mind, but I am glad to be staying home today! Yesterday, I had an appointment with one of my beautiful bellydancer friends to take some promo shots for her. We were able to use a gorgeous space - the Dragon's Egg studio near Mystic, Ct. It was actually a bit challenging to shoot with so many mirrors, but the space itself is lovely. A huge, open, nearly round room forms the central studio space. It's walls are covered in either mirrors or windows. This central space is surrounded by nooks for tea or snacks, changing rooms, balconies, and even a loft chock full of mattresses and oriental rugs, for weekend workshop overnighters. The Egg is also stuffed full of odd little items, artwork, fabric, etc. I found this quirky, somewhat bedraggled dragon kite while my dancer friend was getting into costume, and had to take his portrait.

Dragon Kite


I also had a lot of fun during the shoot. It's been a long time since I've been active in bellydance, and I do miss it. It was fun to reconnect with Katie, and play with costuming! Katie teaches classes and holds workshops galore - if you're even a little interested in bellydance I recommend checking her website out. Bellydance is so much fun, and I've made some great friends through it.

2 comments:

  1. If you're ever up closer to Hartford we should get together.

    I miss learning to bellydance, but now I'm on to learning more about photography. I got a pretty good new camera for Christmas that I'm really excited about.

    Hope you are doing well!

    -Marilee

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Marilee! Good to hear from you. Glad to hear you're enjoying your new camera. I will definitely drop you a line next time I'm in the Hartford area! I've got a show coming up in New Canaan, but that's just as far as RI :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts!