Jan 30, 2012

Collecting Nature: Hyacinths

I've been in love with forcing flowers for the past couple of years.  Having growing things around me brightens my day and adds color to the dreary winter months.  This was the first year I forced hyacinths, though, and they are definitely a new favorite.  These flowers are incredibly fragrant, and the scent of springtime is filling my home.



Forced blooms make a wonderful temporary nature collection, and I think hyacinths are especially wonderful because of the special vases that have traditionally been used to force them.  See how the bulb sits above the neck of the vase in the photo above?  It's elegant and unique, and the design has been around for centuries.  These hyacinth vases can easily become a collection of their own.

More info about forcing hyacinths here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts!