Mar 28, 2012

The Secrets of a Still Life

Into the Light



It's springtime!  That means ranunculus (Persian buttercup) are now readily available at local florists.  These beauties are possibly my favorite flower, both to place around my home and to photograph.  The kinky, curving stem and the ruffled petals are so organic and texturally rich.

This is one of my "secrets" of taking a good still life photograph - choose something you love.  My still life shots come together gradually as I explore the shapes of my subjects and notice how the light hits them.  It often takes many combinations, setups, and arrangements to get that perfect shot.  That process is so much more creative and satisfying when you photograph something you absolutely love and enjoy spending your precious time with.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts!