Sep 22, 2008

Botanical Bliss

It was my second to last trip to the Natural History Museum at Roger Williams Park today. My next visit there will be to photograph the displays upstairs, and then my time will be used up. I've had a wonderful time exploring the archives and capturing the specimens there. In a year or so I may go back - with fresh perspectives and ideas. I'm like a kid in a candy store there at the museum, so it can be exhausting to try and photograph everything I'm interested in.

Today the curator, Marylin, suggested I take a look at some of the botanical specimens. I'm so glad she did, they were beautiful!

Orchid Specimens 1 through 4



Cypripedium spectabile (collected in 1889)


After I finished, I took some photos of the space, in case you're curious about the environment that I was working in. It's an enchanting mix of history and technology. One room sports an eclectic mix of shelves, skulls, and primitive spears. The next houses a crisp, clean, state of the art preservation system.



I hope you've enjoyed your sneak peek! More photographs from today's session will follow, I'm sure.

(Photographs taken courtesy of the Museum of Natural History and Planetarium, Roger Williams Park, Providence, RI.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts!