Apr 15, 2009

Hump Day Happiness

I've had some good times and some bad news this week, but I think it's important to remember what we're grateful for no matter what is going on in our lives. It gives us perspective and reminds us of all the great reasons we have to keep making the most of every day.

I'd like to encourage you all to post some things you're grateful for today, either a full five or even just one or two. You could post your "happinesses" in a comment (I love getting comments, and read them all), on your own blog (please share a link), or even in a private journal. Let's create a really positive environment here in cyberspace today!



Five things I'm grateful for today:
1) The wonderful weekend I spent with family.
2) The precious memories of spending time with my grandparents.
3) Seeing the pure joy on my nephew's face as he watched his kite flying.
4) Being able to spend time in the garden yesterday.
5) The inspiration that comes from being a part of a supportive group of creative people.

I find that when I sit down and think about the things I'm grateful for, it makes me more observant of the precious moments in life. To me as a photographer, this is also another way of honing my perceptions and noticing things worth capturing.

So, what good things are you noticing in your life?

10 comments:

  1. What a great idea for a post. I live by the motto, "be grateful everyday" so this is right up my alley.

    Today I am grateful and happy for:
    ..the iris blooms in my garden
    ..my free schedule
    ..the love of a hardworking man
    ..my two wonderfully devoted dogs
    ..the sunshine before the rain

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's good to get the gratitude out of my head where it usually lives. :)

    I am grateful for...

    1. ...my husband, who works so hard to provide for our family.

    2. ...blogging which has led me into a creative awakening over the past three years.

    3. ...the mysterious Camera Fairy who delivered a box of unexpected accessories to me yesterday, including a new lens that is apparently perfect for how I use my camera.

    4. ...the spontaneous remission of my lymphoma last month.

    5. ...Etsy which, imho, is leading a creative revolution in the world by providing a place for all the artisans to sell their beautiful things.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely post! Today I am grateful for:
    -the sunshine
    -being able to take a walk with my doggies
    -a yummy lunch
    -seeing the first of my spring plants sprouting
    -being a part of the decor8 course

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love you Diana!

    I'm grateful for:
    1. blankets to keep me warm
    2. a home of my own with a man who loves me
    3. health insurance so I was able to get my vaccines
    4. a steady job in this unsteady economy
    5. a great group of close friends

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Diana,

    I'm a fellow classmate from Holly's class. Love your idea of 5 happiness. Indeed, we should count our blessings. Here's what I am happy and grateful for today:

    - a wonderful and supportive fiance who really believes in me.
    - the wonderful e-course I'm attending, self-discovery process and beautiful blogs I'm visiting (like yours!) as a result.
    - a really fun, spontaneous and carefree long Easter weekend.
    - knowing that I have a choice and how I lead my life is up to me.
    - sunshine

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you all for your lists! They were beautiful to read. I hope you feel a little happier today after writing them out :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Marilee4/16/2009

    I like this idea. Even though it is now Thursday, I'm grateful for:

    1. My husband who is endlessly supportive.
    2. My snuggly, energetic and photogenic children.
    3. My camera, which is helping me take much better photographs.
    4. That is is sunny today and that spring is coming.
    5. That we live in a relatively safe and stable society.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Marilee! You can be grateful any day of the week :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a wonderful post!!
    Five things I'm grateful for today:
    1. it's friday and which means weekend is just around the corner!
    2. It's a miracle, but i actually feel quite alright today..been feeling under the weather since last week!
    3. A good long conversation over the phone with my fiance..miss him lots since his far away in Germany
    4. My housemate cooked me a nice warm cozy dinner
    5. That im able to finish my homework on time @ blogging class

    Have a lovely merry happy weekend and love to you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Diana,

    This is a great idea for a series. I've kept gratitude journals at times and found that I am always more optimistic and generally happier when I do so. Even if I don't write down what I am grateful for, I try to make a list in my head every night.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts!