May 9, 2009

Playing in the Dirt

I had a lovely day today. It sure started right - I woke up to freshly made scones & coffee (I have the best hubby). Then, in the morning, we did some yard sale-ing in the rain (no luck) while meandering down to the URI Spring Festival.

The festival was a lot of fun. URI's my alma mater, and my college (Environment & Life Sciences) puts on the event. There were rain barrels, compost bins, and plants for sale. There were presentations about conserving energy and sustainable landscaping. All sorts of fun stuff. There was also live music, which my 2 1/2 year old nephew loved. He especially enjoyed it from atop my shoulders, while drumming on my head. I didn't mind - too much. While we watched, I thought about how seven years ago it would have likely been my college friends playing in the band. I got a bit nostalgic, and a little sad, but life moves on and we have to move with it. I did cheer up when we got to the booth selling native shade plants. We're turning our side yard into a "forest" and this vendor had a few things we'd specifically been looking for - like wood anenome.

After making our purchases, we eagerly headed home to plant them. Our gardens are really shaping up. We'll soon have lots of blooming things for me to photograph - right now there's not much more than pansies and lilies of the valley. But hey, those are awfully pretty too.



I hope you also enjoyed your day! I wish an early happy Mother's Day to all you mothers out there - tomorrow I'll be off celebrating with my family & helping Mom with some invasive plant control around my parents' yard. I'll see you Monday!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts!