May 2, 2009

Woohoo! National Wetlands Month!

This morning started out fairly normally. I mean, I spent too much time picking out what to wear (I'm photographing a 1st Communion today and don't want to flash - no pun intended - the congregation when I squat down to get the right angle for the shots), but all and all it was pretty typical.

Then, I stopped on Twitter and learned from dendroica of A DC Birding Blog that May is... *drumroll please* ...National Wetlands Month! (According to the US EPA)

I then proved my nerdiness by becoming extremely excited and exclaiming, "OOH! OOH!", much to my husband's confusion. (To clarify why I was so thrilled, I work as a Wetland Biologist for my day job, and was taught by the very amazing Dr. Frank Golet. Once you take a class with him you will never be the same.) I told hubby it was National Wetlands Month, and the following conversation ensued:

Hubby: Well, Monday is National Eat Paste in School Day.
Me: Really?
Hubby: No, I just made that up.
Me: Ohhhh. But National Wetlands Month is real - the EPA says so! It's a Federal agency!

Still Pond


The EPA suggests three things you can do to participate in National Wetlands Month:

1) Learn about wetlands. I'll be making a special effort this month to share information about wetlands on the blog.
2) Explore a wetland near you. May is a great month to explore wetlands, as it's still amphibian breeding season and you're likely to find egg masses, tadpoles, and adult frogs & salamanders!
3) Take action to protect and restore wetlands. In Rhode Island, check out Save the Bay or The Nature Conservancy to get involved. You could also organize a trash cleanup at a nearby pond or something similar.

Wheee!

3 comments:

  1. You would probably like our place - we are surrounded by bogs and marshes. The composition of that photo is gorgeous. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Wetlands Month! Besides October...best month of the year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy wetlands month! I didn't know abt this till i came visit your blog! :) Thanks for sharing and hope you had a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts!