Feb 15, 2011

Art and Science: Irish Moss

I've been thinking about the "awesomeness" exercise I did last week after listening to Michelle Ward's presentation in the Etsy Success Symposium. Specifically, I've been thinking about how to share more of my interpretation between Science and Art.

With that in mind, I'm excited to introduce a new "Art and Science" series here on the blog. You'll notice a new button on the sidebar, which should make the entries easy to find as more of them are posted. My intention is not to dig deep into the science behind the photographs, I think that would be too dry. Rather, I'd like to give you a small glimpse, a taste of the science that informs the art.

----

Irish Moss (Chondrus crispus) is a very common and very useful red algae with a beautiful, fan-like branching pattern. These branches are referred to as fronds.



The repeating pattern of the branching is so lovely, don't you think? It's almost meditative to follow the pathways of the fronds as they divide. It's a predictable pattern, but never perfectly executed. The slight irregularities are what make it unique and beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts!